Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Eats : Italy : Naples : Mercato : L'Antica Pizzeria Da Michele

Eats : Italy : Naples : Mercato : L'Antica Pizzeria Da Michele

About L'Antica Pizzeria Da Michele
Da Michele is not hard to find. And when the pizza is 'DOC' marked (stamp of approval), the quest for the place becomes all the more intense. The aroma of freshly baked Neapolitan pizzas lingers around in the air, welcoming patrons and stopover travelers. Michele's secret is that he uses traditional methods to prepare his world famous pizzas. A visit to Naples is surely incomplete without a trip to Da Michele. Just make sure your wallet is in place.

L'Antica Pizzeria Da Michele Review By Michael L. : San Francisco, CA
"Ventidue, Ventidue"!!!  The Italian guy yelled out as I walked in to L'Antica Pizzeria da Michele.  I walked in to grab my number and received #73!  That means there are 50 people ahead of me?!?!  

So being the impatient American I am, I asked to order for "take away" as they call it.  I ordered two Double Mozzarella Margherita pizzas for 10 Euros.  A bottle of Heineken beer for 1 Euro!  10 minutes later I walked out the door with pizza and beer in hand.

Very tough to find a place to eat in Naples.  This city is grimey and dirty and there's not a bench in sight and even if there was I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to sit on it.  Kind of like Civic Center Bart Station in San Francisco, as I took a whiff of urine scent in the air and looked at how dirty the streets were i thought to myself "Just like home"...  So finally I settled on eating my pizza in a dirty alley on top of somebody's laundry air dry rack.

How was the pizza?

First off I'll just say from my first meals in Italy along with my experience at Da Michele, tomatoes here are delicious.  We are really deprived compared to the quality of tomatoes here.  Sweet, no acidic flavor, bright red, unbelievably good tasting tomatoes creates the best marinara I've ever had.

Second is the fresh Buffalo Mozzarella used.  No orange grease dripping off the pizza.  No grated cheese used.  Just chewy bites of fresh cheese.

Third is the soft, chewy, wood baked dough.  Like nothing I've ever experienced.

These ingredients along with basil makes for a special pizza.  One worth talking about, yelping about, and traveling over 6,000 miles for. As Drake would say:  "Best I ever had"...


Contact L'Antica Pizzeria Da Michele
Address Via Cesare Sersale, 1, 80139 Naples, Italy | Phone +39 081 553 9204 

Contact Yahoo! Travel

0 comments: