Thursday, December 27, 2012

Videos : Jon Connor : The Way I Am / Fast Lane

Videos : Jon Connor : The Way I Am / Fast Lane

Jon Connor Tributes MC Breed, Addresses Controversy On Eminem-Inspired Release 
Jon Connor made another addition to his prolific discography in today's free, Eminem-inspired "The People's Rapper LP"—and Flint listeners will hear a tribute to one of its most popular musicians midway through the project.

While rapping over the instrumental to "Stan," Eminem's award-winning song about an obsessive fan, Connor uses the first two verses to pay homage to fallen rap legends 2Pac and The Notorious B.I.G. But the third verse gets extra hometown flavor, as he speaks about fellow Flint rapper MC Breed.

The beginning of the verse recounts Connor nervously meeting Breed when he was 20 years old, and how the encounter instilled hometown pride. "Instead of being a city under a dark cloud, you gave us a reason to say 'Flint' and say it loud," he rhymed.

The latter half of the verse addresses controversy that aroise last summer, when Connor released "Ain't No Future 2011," an ode to Breed's hit single "Ain't No Future In Yo Frontin'" that peaked at no. 66 in the Billboard Hot 100. The song racked thousands of YouTube views, but reports later surfaced that Breed's wife, Natasha Breed, was suing Connor for copyright infringement since the song was on iTunes.

 "I never listened to the haters, never listened to the comments, 'cuz I promise that my remake was a tribute, paying homage," Connor raps. "...Never thought that I'd get backlash for that song, because how could such good intentions get taken so wrong?"

"But when Erica came and hugged me with tears in her eyes, I knew that what I did was right, and felt your tears from the sky," he concluded, referring to Breed's daughter. (Read More)

Contact Jon Connor

Contact William E. Ketchum III

Contact Mlive



0 comments: