Monday, June 22, 2015

News : Jon Stewart Drops The Comedy And Speaks On Charleston

News : Jon Stewart Drops The Comedy And Speaks On Charleston

Jon Stewart opened Thursday night's (June 18) Daily Show with a confession: "I didn’t do my job today.”

Following the shooting Wednesday night that left nine people dead, Stewart declared he simply didn't have any jokes, "nothing other than just sadness" over what happened in Charleston.

"Maybe if I wasn't nearing the end of the run or this wasn't such a common occurrence, maybe I could have pulled out of the spiral," he continued. "But I didn't. And so I honestly have nothing other than just sadness once again that we have to peer into the abyss of the depraved violence we do to each other and the nexus of a gaping racial wound that will not heal yet we pretend doesn't exist.

"I'm confident that by acknowledging it, by staring into that...we still won't do jackshit. Yeah. That's us. ...what blows my mind is the disparity of response between when we think people that are foreign are going to kill us and us killing ourselves."

"I heard someone on the news say, ‘Tragedy has visited this church.’ This wasn’t a tornado. This was racist,” Stewart said. “I hate to even use this pun, but this one is black and white. There’s no nuance here. But we’re going to keep pretending… We are steeped in that culture in this country and we refuse to recognize it.”



Contact Billboard Music
Website | Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Spotify

Sources : Jon Stewart Photo | Jon Stewart Article

0 comments: