Monday, February 24, 2014

Eats : USA : TX : Austin : Franklin's Barbecue

Eats : USA : TX : Austin : Franklin's Barbecue

About Franklin's Barbecue
Aaron Franklin’s parents owned a barbecue stand in his native Bryan, Texas, so it could be said that making good brisket was in his blood. But barbecue runs thick in the veins of every Texan, and when Aaron began experimenting with brisket and a backyard smoker a decade ago, it just so happened that with him it ran thicker than most.

With the encouragement of friends, Aaron and his wife Stacy debuted Franklin BBQ in late 2009 on an East Austin parking lot. From the walk-up window of a travel trailer turned brisket stand, patrons quickly noticed the Franklins were selling the best barbecue around. By spring, the line of admirers snaked around the block, and the press followed. In less than two years, the duo could count contributors from The Washington Post, Texas Monthly, and Cooking Channel among a growing chorus hailing Franklin among America’s BBQ elite—mentioned in the breath as Smitty’s, Kreuz’s, and other stalwart temples to the holy craft of smoked meat that line the Central Texas brisket belt. In the summer of 2010, Bon Appetit hailed Franklin BBQ as the best in America.

Aaron and Stacy quickly outgrew their trailer, and moved their operation to a brick and mortar location in March of 2011. And despite the new digs and every reasonable effort to increase production, Franklin BBQ’s line is as long as ever, and the restaurant has sold out of brisket every day of its existence.

Franklin's Barbecue Review By Holly C.: Columbus, OH
"THE BEST BBQ I've ever had, hands down!

You win, Franklin's. I didn't expect it to be that amazing especially since I've never seen the Chase commercial since I don't have cable. While I was visiting friends, they told me they were taking me there. We waited around 5.5-6 hours from 9am-2:30pm on a Saturday in order to get some of Franklin's deliciousness.

There was someone standing in front of us that heard it would be around 2-2:30pm until we got food, so he had to leave. He mentioned that he teared the first time he tried it. And let me tell you, even though I didn't tear, that was the most amazing bbq I've ever had. One of the best things I've ever tasted. You HAVE to go if you're in Austin with 5-6 hours to spare. It is life changing bbq, and I can never eat normal bbq again. I would wait for it all over again, and I usually hate long lines.

You can rent a chair for $5 from the chair guy, bring your own chairs, and BYOB to drink on their property while waiting in line. We bought breakfast and coffee while standing in line as well.

GET THE FATTY BEEF BRISKET. And the ribs. Those two things literally made me entire trip. Wash it all down with sweet tea, and you'll be in the happiest mood ever. I'm drooling thinking about it. I also dream of Franklin's BBQ...there really is no comparison out there. Do yourself a favor and get there early on the weekends! Aim for 8am!"


Contact Franklin's Barbecue
Address : 900 E 11th St, Austin, TX 78702 | Phone : (512) 653-1187
Website | Facebook | Twitter | Email

Sources : Franklin's Barbecue Photo | Franklin's Barbecue Information | Franklin's Barbecue Review

0 comments: