Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Bars : USA : CA : San Diego : Blind Lady Ale House

Bars : USA : CA : San Diego : Blind Lady Ale House

About Blind Lady Ale House
Blind Lady Ale House is the most recent addition to San Diego’s pizza-and-beer spots, and quite possibly the best. It’s a fantastic place in Normal Heights to grab a fine craft beer and a tasty, tasty pizza. The team behind BLAH includes local brewing legend Lee Chase, his wife Jenniffer, Jeff Motch, and Clea Hantman. They’ve set out to make an establishment that’s both family-friendly and beer-friendly, and I daresay they’ve succeeded on both counts.

Lee brings his encyclopedic knowledge of craft brewing both to the selection of beer on tap, and also to BLAH’s own beer—they plan to brew on-site, but for now Mission Brewery is letting Lee brew on their premises. The first BLAH brew, Automatic #1, is a Belgian single brewed with ginger and coriander, with a strong clove flavor—it’s very sessionable and refreshing.

The Neapolitan-style pizza matches the beer—small, hand-crafted, and lovely. In particular, I can’t get enough of their egg pizza, with bacon, spinach, caramelized onion, pecorino romano, and fontina. It’s ridiculously good stuff. Check out the menu for their other offerings.

You might want to try to avoid filling up on pizza and beer, because the salads are excellent too. Erin and I usually split the Caesar. (I happily let her have all of the anchovies.)

Blind Lady Ale House review By Benny B. : Santa Rosa, CA
Heard about BLAH from The Brewing Network, so I stopped here for lunch while I was in SoCal. I'm glad I did - perhaps one of the best places in the city for food & beer.

I had a stout they brewed under the Automatic Brewing label (or was it a porter?), on nitro with cherry and vanilla. I thought it would turn out to be too sweet and girly, but the cherry and vanilla flavors were subtle and really improved the experience. Also, I love anything on nitro. I'd get it again... and again and again. The wife had an oak aged, smoked stout from Beachwood Brewing, also very very good.

The egg and bacon pizza was downright orgasmic. The egg was runny and the whole thing was doused in truffle oil. Best pizza I've had in ages. On the expensive side, but it is big enough for a couple to split, which makes the price reasonable.

Miscellaneous : They don't have table service, which makes it sound like a dive, but it really isn't. It's also nice to not have to tip a waiter. Sometimes you just don't feel like being waited on hand and foot. Some people complain about parking, but we parked literally in front of the door. I guess we just got lucky. They have TVs, if you care about that sort of thing. Definite hipster style/vibe, if that bothers you. Felt very family friendly - I'd bring my kids here if I had any.

I will be returning to BLAH as often as I can, whenever I'm in the area.


Contact Blind Lady Ale House
Address 3416 Adams Ave  San Diego, CA 92116 | Phone (619) 255-2491

Contact Edward O'Connor


0 comments: