Singles : Stumbleine : Capulet
Singles : Stumbleine : Capulet
Listen To Stumbleine : Capulet
Who Is Stumbleine?
Listen To Stumbleine : Capulet
Who Is Stumbleine?
Stumbleine has been self-releasing his solo music since late 2011, but his association with the rise of the immaculate, sun-drenched post-dubstep sound sometimes termed 'glo-fi' or 'chillwave' goes back two more years, to the release of the first EP by Swarms, I Gave You Everything. As one third of Swarms, a Bristol-based trio originally from Malvern in Worcestershire, he contributed some exquisite, hazy shoegaze guitar textures and production to the three EPs and two albums by the band, including 2011's Old Raves End, which was picked up by the Lo Dubs label and saw the band championed once again by the likes of Mary-Ann Hobbes. Much online hype followed, and before long Stumbleine's Ghosting EP was picked up by Hijo De Colombia, in March of this year. Now signed to Monotreme, an independent UK label, he is set to release his achingly beautiful debut album Spiderwebbed.
His music has more in common with the sun-drenched organic electronics of Balam Acab, or the reverb-swathed cathedrals of voice and guitar created by The Cocteau Twins. “I love walls of sound,” says Stumbleine. “I try to use guitars and piano to create layers reminiscent of my shoegaze and post rock influences. Many artists have a less organic style suited to DJing. I'm not dictated by tempos, and I like to experiment with irregular timings.”
He is still close to his indie-rock roots. Stumbleine took his name from a Smashing Pumpkins B-side: “They're one of the first bands I fell in love with,” he says. “I can remember as a kid stealing the double tape pack of Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness from my older brother and trying to figure out how to duplicate it on his hi-fi before he got home. I also took his tab book for Siamese Dream, and they were some of the first songs I learnt to play on guitar.”
Like Balam Acab or The Haxan Cloak, he intends to use visuals if he starts to play live: “It goes hand in hand with the sound,” he explains. But that day is still a way off: “I've got no plans to gig at the moment, I produce for headphones mainly.” On headphones, his tracks evoke a particular feeling: “They're all based on the idea of fading memories and nostalgia,” he says. This love for nostalgic images and childhood perspectives is echoed in the artwork for his releases, with “layers of images trying to tell a story,” he explains. “It seems to match the lo-fi dreamy sound.” Designed by his close friend Low Sun, his covers are like half-glimpsed memories of childhood summers.
Another of the vital elements in Stumbleine's sound is the presence of haunting, dream-like female vocals, provided by collaborators Asa, Mush Records signing and Blackbird Blackbird collaborator Steffaloo, and German singer CoMa, who has collaborated with the likes of Sorrow and Sun Glitters. “I've done a lot of work with Asa since I started Stumbleine, we share similar tastes so it was easy to collaborate,” he says. They have released one EP as a two-piece, the enchanting Your Secret, on Inspected Records. “Our EP was a natural progression,” Stumbleine explains. “We've ended up living five minutes away from each other, randomly.” His other collaborators were discovered through Stumbleine's own listening: “CoMa and Steffaloo were vocalists I admired from afar. I tried to produce tracks that might suit their style before getting in contact,” he says, describing them both as “amazing vocalists.” (Read More)
His music has more in common with the sun-drenched organic electronics of Balam Acab, or the reverb-swathed cathedrals of voice and guitar created by The Cocteau Twins. “I love walls of sound,” says Stumbleine. “I try to use guitars and piano to create layers reminiscent of my shoegaze and post rock influences. Many artists have a less organic style suited to DJing. I'm not dictated by tempos, and I like to experiment with irregular timings.”
He is still close to his indie-rock roots. Stumbleine took his name from a Smashing Pumpkins B-side: “They're one of the first bands I fell in love with,” he says. “I can remember as a kid stealing the double tape pack of Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness from my older brother and trying to figure out how to duplicate it on his hi-fi before he got home. I also took his tab book for Siamese Dream, and they were some of the first songs I learnt to play on guitar.”
Like Balam Acab or The Haxan Cloak, he intends to use visuals if he starts to play live: “It goes hand in hand with the sound,” he explains. But that day is still a way off: “I've got no plans to gig at the moment, I produce for headphones mainly.” On headphones, his tracks evoke a particular feeling: “They're all based on the idea of fading memories and nostalgia,” he says. This love for nostalgic images and childhood perspectives is echoed in the artwork for his releases, with “layers of images trying to tell a story,” he explains. “It seems to match the lo-fi dreamy sound.” Designed by his close friend Low Sun, his covers are like half-glimpsed memories of childhood summers.
Another of the vital elements in Stumbleine's sound is the presence of haunting, dream-like female vocals, provided by collaborators Asa, Mush Records signing and Blackbird Blackbird collaborator Steffaloo, and German singer CoMa, who has collaborated with the likes of Sorrow and Sun Glitters. “I've done a lot of work with Asa since I started Stumbleine, we share similar tastes so it was easy to collaborate,” he says. They have released one EP as a two-piece, the enchanting Your Secret, on Inspected Records. “Our EP was a natural progression,” Stumbleine explains. “We've ended up living five minutes away from each other, randomly.” His other collaborators were discovered through Stumbleine's own listening: “CoMa and Steffaloo were vocalists I admired from afar. I tried to produce tracks that might suit their style before getting in contact,” he says, describing them both as “amazing vocalists.” (Read More)
Contact Stumbleine
Contact Clash Music
0 comments: