Thursday, January 31, 2013

Eats : USA : NY : New York : Famous Joe's Pizza

Eats : USA : NY : New York : Famous Joe's Pizza

About Famous Joe's Pizza 
New Yorkers are sticklers for food traditions, so when Joe's Pizza, a Greenwich Village institution, closed in early 2005, pizzaphiles all over the city went into a panic. It didn't matter that a few doors down on Carmine Street, another Joe's Pizza run by Joe Pasquale, the same Joe of Joe's of Bleecker, was continuing to serve the exact same pizza in similarly shabby-tight quarters—it just wasn't the same. Unless you are one of those traditionalists, the Joe's on Carmine will more than suffice. It's the epitome of what a slice is supposed to taste like: thin-crusted, with the proper balance of bold sauce and cheese that tastes like cheese, not rubber. Joe's also bakes Sicilian slices and pies, but he doesn't do fancy pie concoctions, heroes, garlic knots, or other diversions. What you get is uncomplicated, solid, and very comforting pizza. And because Joe's is so popular, the pizza turns over quickly, which guarantees a fresh slice. Be prepared to wait on line during busy evening hours. You probably won't get a seat inside the tiny pizzeria, but take your slice outside and eat it like a real New Yorker.

Famous Joe's Pizza Review By David C. : Sugar Land, TX
Pizza by the slice. I grew up in Jersey so I understand pizza by the slice. There's no such thing in Houston unless you count Sbarro's and a chain that's now-called Russow's Pizza or something but was formerly New York Pizzeria: "We do pizza by the slice."

Stopped by here, stumbled in, after getting miserably lost. I was trying to meet up a guy who was selling me a tuxedo blazer - "Do you know Joe's Pizza?" No, I'm not from here. "Right by the Subway stop, there's people everywhere." To me, that sounds like he's describing EVERYWHERE IN NEW YORK. So we're looking all over for Joe's Pizza, walking past all these interesting places--I'm assuming this is NYU collegetown-- I do a double-take at Minneta Tavern, finally end up on a street corner where I just call the dude and tell him to meet us up. 

We meet, he leaves, Now I'm carrying around a suit jacket, we're lost, I feel like I look like a dick, and we turn a corner and see Joe's Pizza dead ahead. 

This could have been summed up in a paragraph: just quality New York pizza. It's like a quality New York bagel. Unheard of down here. I had a slice of Sicilian, the rectangle cut for the noobs, and we brought back 3 slices to take uptown. I didn't reheat, and still thought it was pretty great. I think they tried to reheat, and ended up burning them a bit. 

I'd kill for a Joe's Pizza down here or in Colorado. Would undoubtedly be even more amazing with a prescribed, medicinal leaf. 


Contact Famous Joe's Pizza
Address 7 Carmine St  New York, NY 10014 | Phone (212) 366-1182 

Contact New York Magazine 


0 comments: