Monday, August 12, 2013

Interviews : Le Youth: ‘Cassie Probably Hates C O O L’


Interviews : Le Youth: ‘Cassie Probably Hates C O O L’

Le Youth couldn’t be happier with the UK’s response to his debut single C O O L and hopes R&B singer Cassie doesn’t mind him pitching down her original vocals on the record.

His sleek summer rework of Cassie’s ‘Me & U’ was voted by Nick Grimshaw as his Radio 1 Record of the Week and looks set to make the UK Top 40 this weekend.

Speaking exclusively to MTV News UK the LA producer – aka Wes James – told us: “The response has been overwhelming.

“It’s sort of hard to get the full picture of what’s going on over there [in the UK] being so far away, but I’ll be there soon.”

James admits he only heard the 2006 Cassie song a few years ago, despite its huge success: “I couldn’t believe it was from 2006, it just sounded straight out of the 90s to me.”

So has he heard anything from her yet?
“No, I haven’t. She probably hates that I pitched down her vocals, but she still sounds good! I hope she’s into it.”

C O O L is as heavily influenced by the 90s as it is by throwback R&B to which James added: “I think nostalgia plays a big role in why people are so drawn to those songs.

“Cyril Hahn’s remix of [Destiny’s Child’s] Say My Name is one of my favourites,” said Le Youth. “I think there is definitely a throwback R&B resurgence going on.”

Watching the video for ‘C O O L’ you can tell the 90s didn’t just inspire the music but also the video which has a feel of Madonna’s Vogue about it, did fashion play a role as well?
“There’s definitely a link between fashion and music. That link was the main inspiration,” stated James. “I wanted it to be sort of an homage to 90s supermodels and fashion ads.”

It seems the fashion world has picked up on this as well, Le Youth’s has previously been featured in WONDERLAND magazine and i-D online. So what’s next for the producer with a love of all things 90s?
“I’m working on a few remixes that should be out soon as well as some new original stuff. I’m also looking forward to touring Europe.”

Le Youth’s single ‘C O O L’ is out now and available for download.


Contact Le Youth
Website | Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | YouTube | Email

Contact Cassie
Website | Twitter | Faceboook | iTunes

Contact MTV UK
Website | Twitter | Facebook | Tumblr | Google+

Sources : Le Youth: ‘Cassie Probably Hates C O O L’ Photo | Le Youth Cool Video | Le Youth: ‘Cassie Probably Hates C O O L’ Article

0 comments: